Sunday, May 19, 2013

Beer


I enjoy the stuff and live in a growing center for micro-breweries. I love German beers, hoppy IPAs English Ales and Stouts, and Belgian sour beers. Unfortunately they do not love me. I am sensitive to the byproducts of fermentation and generally feel bad after consuming most beers and wines. Though I generally stick to properly distilled liquor, I'm likely to savor a good beer on occasion anyway figuring in the cost benefit ratio in light of the brief and tenuous nature of life. There is much more to be said about individual beers and I will do so in the future. As this blog is of a culinary focus, beer, like wine and liquor, is also an important cooking ingredient. One of my favorite dishes is the simple but delightful Cuban Arroz con Pollo I was raised with. It requires a hoppy beer like an IPA or a Pilsener.

Arroz con Pollo

1 chicken -- cut up, (or parts)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bottle of Spanish pimento stuffed gree olives
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
olive oil
1 bottle of beer
1 tsp of Salt

Layer the chicken with onion, garlic and olives in a bowl and sprinkle with olive brine. Marinate over night.

The next day, brown the chicken in olive oil. Add and saute onion marinade. After a few minutes, add in the tomato sauce and the beer. Bring to a boil and simmer on a low heat for 30 to 45 minutes.

Serve on white rice, and of course, with cold beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment